Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Fallschirmjager for Crete - One standard equals one company

I've started to work through my haul of Fallschirmjagers.  First up some HMG for them, necessary for both Blitzkrieg Commander and Crossfire.






I wasn't sure how they were going to turn out and I have some challenges matching paints, but I'm very pleased with the results with what is a fairly basic paint job.  I think it's the tufts.

But the real challenge has been to work out what to do with them in regards to an OOB.

My first project is to go for one base is one company using the GMT Operation Mercury OOB.  While I still have a good amount of work to to, I can readily do all except the formations that came on the second day (the 5th Gebirgs Division).

 This is mostly the 3rd Fallschirmjäger Regiment.


This is mostly the 1st Fallschirmjäger Regiment.


This is the Luftlande Sturmregiment.
I might paint this collection up in later war uniforms just for something different.


This is mostly the 2nd Fallschirmjäger Regiment.


Odds and sods.

At this scale it would be interesting to see if I could work out something using Megablitz, but that is more at the battalion level.  However Blitzkrieg Commander would lend itself to this scale with a bit of thought around the scenario.

Next is to work out a one base equals a platoon (Blitzkrieg Commander) and one base equals one squad (Crossfire).

And now having thought of it, one base equals one battalion (Megablitz).


8 comments:

  1. Interesting developments! I have a similar interest in Crete. I cannot decide whether to focus on 28mm skirmish or 15mm. Probably will undertake both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Skirmish is one layer of WW2 gaming I have not considered... yet :-)

      Delete
  2. Cool post! Nice figures and well painted too; we did Crete once, some of the best gaming ever - maybe I should visit Perth for the occasion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Getting figures, OOB and rules is one thing, but getting nice terrain for Crete is another. I've seen a few lovely examples as well. None of this is going to be done soon however. And you never know, Perth ain't that far from North Queensland.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking figures. Should be a fascinating project to game as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I expect I will break everything down into variously scaled scenarios which may or may not link together. Lots to do before that though.

      Delete
    2. Ok interesting. look forward to seeing what you come up with

      Delete