Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov


Started to play the boardgame Barbarossa: Kiev to Rostov by GMT Games with Richard today.  More information on the game which is part of their Eastern Front Series can be found here: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-137-barbarossa-kiev-to-rostov.aspx.  While it is certainly complex, it plays well.  The introductory material on this website, http://www.wargalley.com/efs/index.php, was very helpful and a good way to introduce a game to new players.

I had grown up with SPI’s War in the East and Panzer Group Guderian, so while this was familiar territory, the game mechanics and detail was refreshing and interesting.

2 comments:

  1. I like the look of these games but I think they're a tad too deep/complex for me at this point in life. I need less brain burner and quicker resolution because I limited time and brain capacity.

    I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a few turns completed the mechanics were becoming clear and the game was playing well. The sheer scale of the game would make undertaking the full campaign a serious commitment of time and table space.

      Delete